Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mid Research Review

Mid-Research Review

Sports injuries are a very serious issue that athletes all over are facing. As I look deeper at my topic I have gained a lot of valuable information. There are a lot of different injuries that athletes can sustain while playing sports. Due to this wide variety of injuries and the large range of people who become injured, it is clear that I have a very broad topic. All of my sources have come to the conclusion that injuries are preventable, which is why this is such an important topic. They also have talked about how players are being pushed too hard by coaches and parents. I have come very far but I still have a long way to go before I am finished with this project.

I have discovered that my topic is very broad. There are so many different things that can be categorized within the topic of sports injuries. First there are the different injuries themselves. An athlete can have any injury from a concussion to a sprained ankle and anything in between. And then there is the issue of age. Injuries differ between youths and adults, the may have the same type of injury but it is totally different. There is also a difference in injuries between amateur athletes and professionals. The issues associated with this topic can be very serious. The most common injury is concussions; it is also the most under-reported and least well known. It has recently come into the spotlight with NFL issues, so a lot of my research has been directed toward that. However, there is a very wide variety of topics associated with sports injuries.
All of my research so far has had a common theme; injuries are such a problem because they are preventable. My documentary and nonfiction novel were both focused on concussions. According to these resources, concussions are the most common injury and could be one of the most preventable. With better rules, safer equipment, and just a wider knowledge of the injury, concussions could be severely reduced. Some of the articles talked about how with better equipment, schools could prevent more injuries. Doctors can help athletes recover from injuries by correctly diagnosing them. The book I read talked a lot about how coaches push the players too hard. They expect the players to shake off injuries and keep going. There is a “tough” mentality surrounding sports. This, however, leads to more injuries resulting from the one injury left untreated. The novel and documentary both also talked about how doping has affected injuries. As players get bigger and bigger the hits get harder, the collisions get more violent, and the injuries get more serious. The human body can’t handle how big we are getting.
Some other information I will need to complete this project is some expert advice. I would like to see what a professional has to say about this subject. I also think seeing some treatment in action would help me have better insights into how athletes are recovering after the injury. I would also like to look at switching my point of view from the effects of injuries to prevention of injuries. I think my project would benefit from some more visual aspects to it. I also think I need to look at injuries in professional sports more closely. This will give me a better look at how some serious athletes are handling and preventing injuries.
As it is clearly presented, injuries are a big deal. With so many people receiving injuries it is already a big deal, but when you add in the fact that so many of them are preventable, it makes the issue so much worse. I hope that other people will look at this research and see how big of a deal it really is and take steps to prevent it. The facts have really opened my eyes. There is so much out there yet for me to find. With all of the information available to me I will be able to complete my project satisfactorily. Not only is this topic very important, it is also very interesting and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment