Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Interview with an athlete

I interviewed Nick Mattoon, a Team USA ski jumper, who travels all over the world competing.

Jacob: Have you ever fallen while jumping?
Nick: (laughs) Yes, I have, many many times. It happens so easily especially in practice. It doesn't happen as much now in the big leagues but when I was younger it really did more.
J: Did you ever get injured from any of these falls?
N: Well, besides the common scratches and bruises, I have hurt my leg pretty badly, broke some ribs, and had a concussion.
J: Did you have to go to the hospital for any of your injuries?
N: Yeah for my leg and ribs.
J: You said you had a concussion, was it ever diagnosed?
N: No, it wasn't but I am pretty positive that I had one. I went and played in a basketball tournament the next day.
J: Do you feel informed about concussions?
N: Yeah, I mean for the most part I do.
J: Has a coach ever told you to compete while you were injured?
N: No, they haven't. My coaches have always been really good about keeping me out until I am healthy again so I don't get re injured.
J: Do you feel like you have to hide injuries?
N: No, I don't feel, like, obligated to hide them but I do anyways
J: Why do you do that?
N: Because I want to keep playing and competing, I hate having to sit out and watch so I don't tell anyone so they cant make me sit out.
J: Do you think that there are too many injuries in sports?
N: Hell no, sports are physical... Shit happens man, ya know?
J: Yes I do, thanks for your time Nick.
N: My pleasure, any time. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment